What Are The Uses Of Trimethoprim?
Main uses of Trimethoprim are urinary tract infections, middle ear infections, stomach and intestinal infection and pneumonia caused by Pneumocystis Jiroveci bacteria.
What Are The Side Effects Of Trimethoprim?
Common effects are nausea, rash, vomiting, diarrhoea, itching and sun sensitivity.
- Some rare side effects are also observed like:
- Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count)
- Mouth ulcers and leg pain due to reduction in folic acid concentration in body
- Megaloblastic anemia
- Slow & faulty production of red blood cells due to folic acid deficiency
- Hyperkalemia (increase in potassium level in body)
Rise in serum creatinine.
What Are The Contraindications Of Trimethoprim?
It is highly contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity to the drug, megaloblastic anemia and folic acid deficiency, liver problems, kidney disorders, reduced bone marrow function and pregnancy.