What Are The Uses Of Valproic Acid?
It is used to treat epilepsy (seizures), migraine headaches and bipolar disorder (mental condition related to elation and depression).
It acts as anticonvulsant and works in the brain to stop seizures.
What Are The Side Effects Of Valproic Acid?
Some of the common side-effects may be:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Hair loss
- Fever, cough,
- Stomach pain, indigestion, constipation, diarrhoea
- Weakness, drowsiness
Please consult your doctor if any of the following rare but serious side effects occurs:
- Liver problems
- Irregular heartbeat
- Low blood platelets
- Encephalopathy (malfunctioning of the brain)
- Low body temperature
Also, Suicidal behaviour and thoughts may be seen in some patients.
Note: It can cause serious abnormalities in the baby if taken during pregnancy.
What Are The Contraindications Of Valproic Acid?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Pregnancy or planning for pregnancy, breast feeding
- Urea cycle disorders
- Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Pre-existing acute or chronic liver problem or family history of hepatitis (liver inflammation), particularly medicine related.
- Hepatic porphyria (enzyme deficiency in the liver)
- Hepatotoxicity (Drug-induced liver injury)