What Are The Uses Of Vancomycin?
It is a narrow spectrum antibiotic with bactericidal effects limited to Enterococcus and S. aureusbacteria. Except intestinal infection, there is no other use of this antibiotic, because of the availability of other better antibiotics.
What Are The Side Effects Of Vancomycin?
Some of the observed side effects are:
- Nausea, abdominal pain
- Drug fever, urticarial rash
- Renal toxicity
- Eosinophilia (increase in count of white blood cells)
- Superinfection (secondary infection after treatment with antibiotics)
- Redness of skin above waist, itching
- Difficulty in swallowing and breathing, fainting, dizziness
- Blurred vision and ringing ears.
What Are The Contraindications Of Vancomycin?
It should not be taken in conditions like kidney disease, previous hearing loss and inflammatory bowel disease. Avoid using for elderly, pregnant woman and lactating mother.