What Are The Uses Of Zidovudine?
It is used in the treatment and prevention of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus)/AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome). It acts by reducing amount of virus in the body and helps in preventing the risk of diseases related to AIDS.
It is also used in prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV.
What Are The Side Effects Of Zidovudine?
Some of the common side-effects may be:
- Loss of appetite, Upset stomach, Vomiting
- Rashes, Pale skin,
- Dark coloured urine
- Weakness. Lack of strength
- Unusual breathing, unusual bleeding.
Use of zidovudine can cause serious side effects also such as:
Blood disorders such as extremely reduced numbers of red blood cells (anaemia) or reduced numbers of white blood cells (Neutropenia)
- Liver problems
- Muscle weakness
What Are The Contraindications Of Zidovudine?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- Ever had liver or kidney disease.
- Anaemia or blood related problems
- Drink alcohol or have drug addiction