AMIFRU 40MG TABLET has the following salts in its composition
1) Furosemide 2) Amiloride
Uses Of AMIFRU 40MG TABLET
Furosemide is used to treat the fluid that builds up underneath the skin due to kidney disease, liver scarring or heart failure. This reduces swelling in abdomen, arms and legs and also reduces shortness of breath.
It basically helps a person urinate so that they lose excess water and salts.
Amiloride is used for the treatment of:
- High blood pressure (hypertension),
- Heart failure
- Extra fluid in the body (oedema)
It is also used for treating or preventing low blood potassium levels, caused by the other diuretics.
Side Effects Of AMIFRU 40MG TABLET
Side Effects Of Salt: Furosemide
Blurred vision, dizziness, ringing in ears, headache, hypokalaemia and low blood pressure may occur till your body gets used to the medication.
Serious side effects are loss of hearing and electrolyte imbalance.
Side Effects Of Salt: Amiloride
- Dizziness, nausea
- Vomiting, loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain, gas, or diarrhoea
- Amiloride may also cause loss of body water (dehydration) and salt/minerals when given with other diuretics.
Contraindications Of AMIFRU 40MG TABLET
Contraindications Of Salt: Furosemide
Please inform in advance if you are suffering from kidney and liver issues, gout and any other problem preventing you from regular urination.
Diabetic patients should monitor their blood sugar regularly while on medication of this drug.
Contraindications Of Salt: Amiloride
Before taking Amiloride, please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Untreated salt/mineral imbalance like low sodium level, high potassium
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Too much loss of body water (dehydration)
When the body or some parts of the body become swollen or puffy, the condition is known as edema. The swelling occurs when the capillaries (tiny blood vessels) in the body leak fluid, which is trapped in tissues of the body, especially the skin, causing swelling. A small part of the body or the entire body can be affected.
Although edema is quite a common condition, sometimes an edema can be a sign of some serious problem. Most often, edema affects the skin and parts of the body such as arms, hands, legs, feet and ankles. It can affect the bowels, lungs muscles, brain and eyes too.
There are many types of edema such as:
- Peripheral edema:The edema affects the legs, feet, ankles, arms and hands.
- Pulmonary edema:This occurs when fluid collects in the lungs and makes it difficult to breathe. This can be caused due to acute lung injury or congestive heart failure.
- Macular edema:The swelling occurs in the macula of the eye and is a complication caused due to diabetic retinopathy.
- Cerebral edema:When there is swelling in the brain.
The pumping action of the heart delivers blood rich in oxygen and nutrients to the cells of the body. And, when the cells get proper blood flow, they are nourished and enable the body to function normally.
Also known as congestive heart failure, when the heart muscle does not pump the blood properly, heart failure occurs. This condition is when the heart is unable to handle the load. Conditions like high blood pressure, a disease of the coronary artery (narrowing of the arteries), etc. makes the heart very weak to pump blood effectively. Heart failure is very a serious and progressive condition and usually does not have a cure. However, even if you have suffered from heart failure, with proper medications and a few lifestyle changes, the conditions can be managed.
Heart failure may be due to a problem in the right ventricle (right side), left ventricle (left side) or may involve both the sides. Commonly, heart failure occurs due to a problem in the left ventricle, which is the main pumping side of the heart.
The different types of heart failure are:
- Left side heart failure: The fluid can collect in the lungs resulting in shortness of breath.
- Right side heart failure: Fluid may collect in the legs, feet, and abdomen and cause swelling.
- Diastolic heart failure: This is when the left chamber cannot fill or relax completely. This indicates a problem with filling.
- Systolic heart failure: The left ventricle of the heart cannot contract quickly and this indicates a problem with pumping.
Hypertension, also known as high blood pressure in common language, is a long term medical condition in which the blood pressure in the arteries is persistently elevated.
Symptoms Treated With AMIFRU 40MG TABLET
What Are The Symptoms Of Edema
The symptoms and signs of edema are:
- Swelling, pain and tightness
- Stretched, shiny and swollen skin
- When pressed, the skin forms a dimple
- Puffiness of face, ankles or eyes
- Weight gain or loss
- Stiff joints and aching body
- High blood pressure and pulse rate
- Changes in bowel habits, nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Lethargy and confusion, disturbances in vision
The condition of heart failure can be chronic i.e. ongoing or acute i.e. starts suddenly and the symptoms of heart failure include:
- Weakness and fatigue
- Shortness of breath (dyspnea) when you lie down or exert yourself
- Edema or swelling of feet, legs, and ankles
- Inability to exercise
- Irregular or rapid heartbeat
- Coughing or wheezing with pink or white phlegm tinged with blood
- Ascites or swelling of abdomen
- Weight gain due to retention of fluid
- Urgency to urinate at night
- Nausea and lack of appetite
Reduced alertness or difficulty in concentration
If heart failure is due to heart attack, then you may experience severe pain in the chest
Acute shortness of breath and coughing foamy, pink phlegm
What Are The Symptoms Of Hypertension
High blood pressure in itself usually does not cause symptoms, but long term high blood pressure is a major risk factor for coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, vision loss, stroke, heart failure, and chronic kidney disease.
Causes of diseases where AMIFRU 40MG TABLET is used
What Are The Causes Of Edema
Some causes of edema are:
- Staying or sitting in a particular position for a prolonged period.
- High altitude, sunburn or burns.
- Use of contraceptives, thyroid disease
- Eating too much of salt or salty foods.
- Premenstrual symptoms, pregnancy.
- Medications (high blood pressure medicines, steroid drugs, NSAIDs, estrogens, thiazolidinediones (diabetes medication), vasodilators, etc.).
Sometimes, edema may be caused due to a more serious health condition like:
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Congestive heart failure
- Weakness or damage to the veins in the legs
- Kidney disease, kidney damage
- Long-term severe protein deficiency
- Damaged lymphatic system
- Problems with circulation, infection, death of tissues
- Electrolyte problems, overload of fluid in the body
- Diabetes, edema in the brain due to head injury, brain tumour, stroke
- Allergies, blood clot in vein
- Varicose veins, tumour, cyst or growth
- Lymphedema due to infection, surgery or infection
There are many conditions that can weaken or damage your heart and result in heart failure and some of the causes are:
- Heart attack and coronary heart disease
- Damaged heart valves due to heart infection, heart defect or coronary heart disease
- Hypertension or high blood pressure
- Cardiomyopathy or damage of the heart muscle due to diseases and infections, smoking, abuse of alcohol and drugs, chemotherapy drugs and genetic factors.
- Myocarditis (inflammation of heart muscle).
- Congenital heart defects (born with heart defects).
- Heart arrhythmias or abnormal rhythms of the heart.
- Other diseases like HIV, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, hemochromatosis (iron build-up) and amyloidosis (protein build-up).
- Severe infections, viruses attacking the heart muscle, blood clots occurring in the lungs, allergic reactions, illness affecting entire body or certain medications.
- Wrong life style, lack of physical activity
- Eating disorders
- Old age, over weight
- Too much of salt in diet, alcohol
Worst Foods With AMIFRU 40MG TABLET
What Are The Worst Foods For Edema
- Sodium is very bad for edema. So, avoid consumption of salt and salty foods such as French fries, chips, soy sauce, salted nuts, pretzels, bacon, ham, canned tuna, processed meats, hot dogs, sausages, takeaway food, cheese, canned foods, etc. as they are high in salt.
- Avoid foods that are high in saturated and trans fats as they stimulate inflammation and worsen the condition of edema.
- Avoid or limit consumption of alcohol and caffeinated beverages, as they cause fluid retention and aggravate the edema.
- Avoid carbonated beverages such as fizzy drinks, soda, beer, etc. as they contain loads of sugar and sodium and they also cause bloating and gas apart from making the edema worse.
- Avoid processed grains and products such as oat cereals, ready-to-eat bran, popcorn, pancakes, waffles, crackers, etc. as these contain a lot of sodium, which worsens edema.
- Avoid tomato juice and vegetable juice as they have high levels of sodium which worsens the edema.
- Avoid convenience foods such as soups, rice, pasta mixes, frozen meals, etc. as they are high in sodium and cause the edema and swelling to worsen.
What Are The Worst Foods For Heart failure
- Avoid trans fats in the food you eat. Avoid eating baked foods like margarine, cakes, pastries, fried fast foods, frozen pizzas, cookies, etc.
- Avoid meats that are high in fat like prime cuts, hamburgers, etc.
- Reduce the amount of cheese you eat, especially the ones that contain salt.
- Avoid processed foods like hot dogs, bacon, canned foods, ramen, soups, macaroni, and cheese, etc.
- Avoid condiments like pickles, mustard, sauces with salt, etc.
- Avoid salt or salty foods or reduce the amount of salt used in your cooking (limit amount of salt and sodium to around 1500-2000 mg per day).
- Avoid sugary foods and foods that do not have any nutrition such as sodas, fast food, candy, etc.
What Are The Worst Foods For Hypertension
- Limit your sodium intake to 1500 milligrams (less than one tablespoon) per day. Avoid foods like:
- Canned juices, processed foods
- Fatty food, oily food
- The more an item stays in food, the more sodium it accumulates. Canned foods need to stay longer and need preservatives. Salt is a good preservative, used in most of the canned foods. However, the longer a vegetable stays in salt, the more sodium it accumulates. Hence, it is always suggested to eat freshly cooked food, then frozen or pre-cooked food.
- Coffee: People who have low blood pressure are recommended coffee as it increases blood pressure. Those with high BP should immediately stop drinking coffee as it contains caffeine, the main culprit of hypertension.
- Alcohol: Having 3 drinks at a time can increase your blood pressure for a short while. Regularly drinking alcohol can result in long term hypertension.
Do's With Usage of AMIFRU 40MG TABLET
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Edema
If you are suffering from edema:
- Cut down consumption of salt.
- Lose weight in case you are overweight.
- Raising your legs helps to improve circulation. Walking, cycling, running and aerobics can help to prevent edema.
- Regular exercise can help to prevent occurrence of edema.
- When you are travelling, get up and walk around regularly.
- In the cold temperature, dress warmly.
- When sitting at your desk at work, if you have swelling in your ankles, then lift your legs parallel to the floor periodically.
- Keep up your feet propped up on a pillow when watching TV, resting or reading. The gravity can help to drain the fluid away from the swollen feet and ankles.
- Applying ice to the affected parts can help to reduce the swelling. However, avoid this if you suffer from poor circulation or diabetes.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Heart failure
Making certain lifestyle changes can help to prevent heart failure such as:
- Controlling problems like diabetes and hypertension.
- Eating healthy.
- Being physically active.
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Use healthy methods of cooking like baking, boiling, steaming, grilling, etc. instead of frying.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Hypertension
- 30 minutes of yoga every day can help you reduce high blood pressure. Pranayama is the best yoga for controlling high BP.
- Do conscious breathing for 3o minutes every day.
- End your exercise with 5 minutes of Shavasana.
- Do the brisk walk for 30 minutes a day.
Dont's With Usage Of AMIFRU 40MG TABLET
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Edema
- Avoid standing or sitting for long periods of time.
- Avoid extreme temperatures and very hot showers, baths and sauna therapy.
- Avoid crossing your legs, as the blood flow through the veins gets limited and makes the swelling worse.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing, as it stops the fluids from being removed from the lower legs.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Heart failure
- Don't take stress
- Avoid smoking and if you do, quit completely.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Hypertension
- Do not stay awake till long. Have adequate sleep.
- Reduce stress, avoid stressful situations.
- Reduce weight, if you are obese.
Other Useful Tips With Usage OfAMIFRU 40MG TABLET
What Are The Tips For Edema
- You can use massage therapy to remove the accumulated fluid by massaging in the direction of the heart. Massaging helps to activate the lymphatic system, helping to drain the fluid naturally. You can use warm olive, coconut or mustard oil and massage the inflamed area many times a day for relief.
- Keeping the swollen portion above heart level many times in a day, especially while sleeping can help to reduce edema.
- Using compression sleeves, stockings or gloves put pressure on the limbs and stops the fluid from collecting in the tissue and helps to reduce the swelling.
- Calcium, magnesium, vitamin D and B5 help to improve the kidney function and remove the water from the body, thereby preventing edema.
Some natural remedies for edema are:
- Dandelion has natural diuretic properties and contains potassium that helps to reduce the level of sodium and also aids in eliminating the fluids and reducing the swelling. You can mix a teaspoon of dandelion leaves, dried or fresh in 1 glass of hot water and let it steep for around 5-7 minutes. Strain and drink the tea 2-3 times in a day for relief from edema. However, you should avoid using dandelion if you have gallbladder problems.
- Apple cider vinegar and helps to reduce fluid retention and also pain and swelling caused due to edema as it has a high potassium content. Adding 1-2 teaspoonful of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and drinking it 2 times a day provides relief. Or, soaking a towel in a solution of water and apple cider vinegar and wrapping the towel over the affected parts of the body 2-3 times in a day can provide relief from swelling.
- Mix 1 cup of Epsom salt in a tub of warm water and soak in it for 10-15 minutes around thrice a week. This can help to flush out the excess water and toxins from the body and reduce edema.
- Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Add it to some oil such as coconut or jojoba oil and massage it to the affected parts twice a day for relief from inflammation and pain.
- Parsley has diuretic properties and can help to reduce painful swelling caused by edema. To 2 cups of water add a spoonful of parsley and let it boil for around 10 minutes and strain and drink the liquid in the morning on an empty stomach or grind the parsley leaves into a paste and apply the paste to the inflamed areas for around 30 minutes and rinse with warm water for relief.
Some home remedies for heart failure are:
- Garlic is very beneficial for problems like high cholesterol, blood pressure, coronary heart disease, etc. It also helps to prevent the hardening of arteries (atherosclerosis) and improves blood circulation. You can eat 1-2 fresh cloves of garlic every day or you can take garlic supplements instead.
- Hawthorn is an excellent herb for the cardiovascular system and can be beneficial in the case of heart failure. The herb helps to improve the contractions of the cardiac muscles resulting in stronger pumping and also increases the flow of blood to the heart. Hawthorn also helps to enhance the cardiac output and performance and reduces the load on the heart.
- Research has found that extract from the Chinese hibiscus flow has anti-atherosclerosis effects and the flower has antioxidants that help to prevent bad cholesterol, the main cause of heart failure. You can drink herbal tea made by boiling petals of hibiscus in water with a teaspoon of raw honey once in a week for beneficial effects.
- Turmeric is found to be very beneficial for heart health and can prevent atherosclerosis. The curcumin present in turmeric helps to keep the heart healthy by preventing the oxidation of cholesterol, formation of clots and plaque build-up. Using turmeric in your cooking regularly is a good idea. Or, you can boil a teaspoon of turmeric in a cup of milk or water and drink it 1-2 times in a day for a few months for excellent benefits. You can also have turmeric in the form of a supplement too.
- Cayenne pepper is excellent for the treatment of circulatory and heart problems. The compound capsaicin present in cayenne helps to lower cholesterol levels and prevent the irregular rhythms of the heart. You can add ½ - 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to a glass of hot water and drink it 2-3 times in a week or you can take cayenne supplements.