It is said that you are what you eat. This proverb is applicable on your hair also. The food which you eat daily affects the health of your hair directly or indirectly. There are several conditions which lead to hair loss. An unhealthy diet is also one of the biggest reasons behind the hair problems. Hair needs good nutrients for their growth and lack of these essential nutrients leads to hair loss and many other problems. A healthy diet helps to provide vitamins and minerals to the hair. Here are some foods which one should include in their diet to get healthy looking hair.
- Green leafy vegetables: Spinach, broccoli, lentils, and beans are some of the vegetables which contain essential vitamins, minerals, and proteins. These are rich sources of iron which is helpful in making hair thick and strong. Iron removes the brittleness of the hair preventing them from getting damaged.
- Nuts and seeds: Walnuts, almonds, flaxseed, grape seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds are excellent antioxidants. These contain a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids which provides the nourishment to hair. These contain essential oils which change the look and feel of your hair. Also, walnuts are a good source of biotin and Vitamin E which protects our hair from harmful UV radiations of the sun. These are beneficial in restoring the natural color of the hair and keeping your hair shiny and lustrous.
- Poultry products: Eggs are one of the best sources of protein. Along with protein, eggs are rich in zinc, selenium, iron, and sulfur which are very much essential for hair growth. Lack of these nutrients increases the dryness of the scalp leading to excess hair loss. Oysters, lean meat, chicken are some of the food which helps to strengthen the fragile hair.
- Salmon: Salmon is a fish which is an excellent food for hair growth. Salmon is rich in iron, Vitamin B12, and omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon helps to restore the natural shine of the hair.
- Low-fat dairy products: Skimmed milk and yogurt are rich sources of calcium which is an important element for hair growth. These are also full of essential proteins. Cottage cheese can also be added to the diet for healthy hair.
- Carrots and sweet potatoes: These are rich sources of Beta-carotene which is essential for increasing production of scalp oils. Beta-carotene acts as conditioning and a moisturizing agent for the hair. These provide shine and strength to the hair.
- Citrus fruits: These include lemons, kiwi, papaya, strawberries, oranges, cherries and grapes which are rich sources of vitamin C. Vitamin C is important for absorption of iron and zinc to get healthy hair. It is also essential for the production of collagen in the body for the strengthening of hair shafts. Food rich in Vitamin C helps in circulation of the blood to the scalp and hair follicles and thus enhances the growth of the hair.
- Beans, legumes, and pulses: Soybeans, whole beans, black-eyed peas, legumes and kidney beans are rich sources of biotin. Biotin helps in making hair stronger and healthier. Lack of biotin makes hair brittle and fragile leading to break down. Include these foods in your diet to add fullness and thickness to your hair.
- Avocados: These are full of a variety of nutrients such as beta-carotene, vitamin B, C, and E, all of which are essential for growth of hair. Avocados are good conditioning agent. These are found beneficial in maintaining good health of the scalp.
So change your diet today and get ready to see tremendous changes in your hair growth in coming future. A little attention and care will make your hair more healthy and beautiful. Just think and go beyond shampoos and oils for getting beautiful hair. Adopting a healthy and nutritious diet will not only make your hair healthy but will make you look healthy and beautiful from inside out.Leave a reply →