Green Tea has come out to be one of the popular and healthiest beverages in this era of modernization. To detox the body and increase the longevity of life, sipping green tea is a good choice. Encapsulated with innumerable medicinal properties green tea is creating wonders in the field of health. It is full of antioxidants and vital nutrients which are helpful in preventing a risk of the variety of ailments ranging from heart disease to cancer. Traditionally it was used in the form of medicine to treat digestive problems, heal wounds and control bleeding, protect heart and in the regulation of body temperature.
With advancement in researches, it was found that having green tea daily has potential benefits in controlling diabetes, blood pressure, weight loss, lowering cholesterol and preventing cancer also.
What is Green Tea?
Green tea is a type of tea harvested from the tea leaves of Camellia sinensis plant without undergoing oxidation process. Since it is less processed and contains unoxidized leaves, it is full of vital nutrients, polyphenols and antioxidants. The goodness of flavonoids and catechins makes it a healthy and impressive drink consumed globally.
Benefits of green tea
- Aids weight loss: Catechins found in green tea are helpful in burning fat and boosting up the metabolism. EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate), is an important substance that can boost metabolism. It increases the levels of norepinephrine by inhibiting an enzyme that breaks down the hormone norepinephrine. Increase in norepinephrine increases the breakdown of fat. The antioxidants present in green tea helps in breaking down of excess body fat and increase the amount of energy used by the body.
- Improves the brain function: Green tea contains a high amount of amino acid L-theanine and caffeine, which crosses the blood-brain barrier. It increases the brain function by increasing the activity of GABA, the inhibitory neurotransmitter. It is also helpful in increasing the levels of dopamine in the brain.
- Lowers the risk of Diabetes Type 2: Green tea helps to reduce the increased sugar level in the blood. Flavonoids and catechins improve the sensitivity to insulin and reduce the glucose content in the blood. It also helps in improving the metabolism rate.
- Reduces cholesterol level: Antioxidants present in green tea are very much beneficial in fighting with free radicals. These free radicals are responsible for damaging cells and tissues. Polyphenols help to reduce the LDL cholesterol levels and boosts the levels of HDL in the blood. Increased levels of HDL helps to remove the bad cholesterol from the arteries thus preventing form several ailments such as heart attack, atherosclerosis or stroke.
- Lowers risk of cardiovascular diseases: Cardiovascular diseases are top leading causes of death worldwide. Consumption of green tea increases the blood flow and expands the arteries of the heart. This helps in increasing the circulation and buildup of harmful plague. In addition this it reduces cholesterol and triglycerides levels thereby preventing the risk of heart attack or stroke. It is very helpful in keeping a heart healthy.
- Prevents risk of cancer: On the top of all, green tea has emerged as an anticancer agent. The antioxidants found in green tea helps to stop the growth of cancer cells by blocking the enzymes responsible for their growth. EGCG has been found beneficial in killing the cancer cells also. These prevent the formation of new blood vessels which spreads cancer at a much faster rate.
Apart from these green tea is beneficial in keeping skin and hair healthy. Its regular consumption helps to reduce the risk of hypertension also. These incredible benefits of green tea have made it an excellent drink. Coupled with exercise and diet changes green tea has found to be more effective. So just start sipping the green tea today if you have not yet. It can create wonders in your life. Consume healthily and stay healthy!
Leave a reply →