Turmeric has been one of the core ingredients of the kitchen since ages. This is one of the super spices used in the kitchen to enhance the flavour and aroma of the food. It is part of Indian kitchens and culture for thousands of years. It is a versatile ingredient which is not confined to the kitchen only but it is used to treat various health disorders also. The main constituent found in Turmeric is known as Curcumin which is found to be full of numerous medicinal properties.
Here are enlisted some of the tremendous health benefits of turmeric
- Turmeric reduces inflammation: Now a day’s inflammation has found to be the root cause of many health disorders such as arthritis, cholesterol, heart disease, chronic pain, metabolic disorders and even cancer. Curcumin is very effective in controlling inflammation and related disorders.
- Strong antioxidant: The antioxidant property of turmeric makes it a super great herb. Free radicals present in our body affects the normal functioning of our body. These can damage cells and DNA of the body giving rise to many diseases such as cancer and heart diseases. Curcumin helps to clear the free radicals from the body and provides protection against degenerative diseases such as cancer, heart disease, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes and many more.
- Turmeric for cancer: Turmeric contains curcumin which has proven to be an anti-cancer agent. In studies, it was found the curcumin kills the cancerous cells and prevent their growth also. It is found most effective in breast, skin, bowel and stomach cancers. It prevents the regrowth of cancer stem cells. Curcumin also increases the effectiveness of chemotherapy drugs. It works as a chemopreventive agent and prevents metastasis. Above all, curcumin has anti-carcinogenic and antitumor properties which make it a versatile compound.
- Turmeric Protects heart: Curcumin helps in protecting the heart by lowering blood pressure, preventing strokes and decreasing cholesterol. Curcumin reduces inflammation and free radicals which are reasons behind heart diseases. It helps in improving the endothelial dysfunction in the lining of the blood vessels. This endothelial dysfunction results in increased blood pressure and clotting.
- Turmeric is good for arthritis: Arthritis is related to inflammation and stiffness. Curcumin helps in reducing the swelling of joints and reduces pain. Curcumin protects chondrocytes and protects bones and joints from erosion. It is also helpful in preventing the thickening of synovial fluid which is responsible for lubricating the joints.
- Turmeric Boosts brain memory: Curcumin helps in boosting the memory of the brain and reduces the risk of Dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and another type of memory loss disorders. Turmeric protects the brain from free radicals by crossing the blood-brain barrier. It increases the blood flow to the brain and thus improves concentration and memory.
- Turmeric Lightens skin and prevents hair loss: It is helpful in treating wrinkles, psoriasis, stretch marks and acne. It is beneficial in reducing skin pigmentation also. It prevents hair loss and acts as antidandruff also. It improves the texture of the skin and helps in brightening and lightening of the skin.
- Turmeric is Natural antibiotic and antiseptic: The antibacterial properties of curcumin make it a good antiseptic. It inhibits the activities of bacteria and various fungi and virus as well. It has been used for ages to treat wounds, burns, scars and injuries.
- Turmeric Relieves digestive problems: Turmeric reduces GERD symptoms by reducing the sensitivity of the oesophagus to the acid and promotes intestinal flora. It is very much helpful in treating indigestion. It reduces the pain to cause gas and bloating. It increases the ability of the intestine to absorb nutrients and reduces relapse rate in sufferers of ulcerative colitis.
- Turmeric Prevents depression, stress and anxiety: Curcumin helps in balancing the factors causing depression. It increases the production of glutathione and helps in the regulation of neurotransmitters. It is found that curcumin increases the effectiveness of antidepressant drugs. Curcumin is a natural anxiolytic agent also which helps in reducing anxiety and stress.
There are innumerable benefits of turmeric. Inculcating this magical herb in your diet will not only provide you taste and flavour but will protect you from deadly diseases also. So keep on adding spice to your life with turmeric to improve the quality of life.Leave a reply →