Every year World Environment Day is observed on 5th June. This is day is celebrated to create awareness among the people about saving the environment and motherhood. The theme for the year 2018 is “Beat the Plastic Pollution”. This day is celebrated every year with different agenda’s to awake the humanity and to rise above all to save our motherland. This year India has got the privilege to host this day. A mission for 2018 is to bring the world together to combat single-use plastic pollution. Plastic pollution is one of the biggest environmental challenges. This plastic pollution is a big threat to human health, polluting oceans and destroying marine life.
Some facts about plastic:
- Every minute a truck full of garbage worth of plastic is dumped into the oceans
- Statistics show that by 2050 there will be more plastic in oceans than fish.
- Every minute nearly 2 million plastic bags which are of single-use distributed worldwide.
- Every year around 8 million tones of plastic enters our Oceans.
- About 50% plastic we use is a single use such as disposables.
- Every minute we buy 1million plastic bottles.
- We recycle only 5% of the plastic we use.
- We have produced more plastic in last decade than in the whole last century.
- Plastic accounts for around 10% of our garbage.
- Plastic take around 500-1000 years for its degradation
- Plastic pollution kills approximately 1million seabirds and 1lakh marine animals every year.
- The chemicals released from plastics are not absorbed by the body.
- On the top of that, the toxin found in plastics affects the human health leading to severe health problems and changes in hormonal balance.
These are some sad facts but very true. The need to combat plastic pollution demands collaboration of people worldwide. World Environment Day is People’s Day to take a step to protect their ecosystem.
Here are some methods to reduce this emerging plastic pollution.
- Always use reusable produce bags. Bring your reusable bags whenever you come to market to buy grocery items. Opt for cotton or jute bags and instead of nylon or polyester.
- Stop purchasing water or juice from the market as these are stored in plastic bottles which are single use. Carry your own water bottle from home and drink freshly prepared fruit juice only as this is free from preservatives and good for health also.
- Use refillable containers.
- Avoid buying over-packaged products.
- Buy loose fruits and vegetables rather than packed.
- Use metal or glass storage containers instead of plastic ones at your home or workplace.
- Skip the use of plastic wares such as disposable knives, spoons, straws etc.
- Reuse containers and jars for storing the food leftovers.
- Use reusable cutlery
- Use of cloth wipes or diapers. Disposable diapers are much more difficult to degrade.
- Avoid buying products containing plastic micro beans. Microbeads come from breaking bigger plastic items. These can be seen commonly in toothpaste and face washes. These microbeads are next to impossible to filter out.
- Choose cardboard boxes to buy detergent s or soap as it is easier to recycle cardboard than plastic.
- Buy in bulk to reduce the packing waste.
- Choose your plastic material wisely. Use Grade #1 – PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) and grade #2 – HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene) plastic material as both of these can be recycled and HDPE can be reused also.
The bitter truth is that it is neither possible nor desirable to eradicate all plastic from the society. However, looking towards the crisis some alternative materials can be used to reduce the dependence on plastics. To change the future and save something for our future generation we all need to play our important part. The demand of the time is to reduce the burden of plastic from our motherland.
Take a call to beat this plastic pollution and to save our planet otherwise this condition will deteriorate further which is already beyond the breaking point. So take this World Environment Day as a platform to start an action and commit to making your Environment clean and green in the coming years. Start from today as if it is not today then it will be never.
Let’s all raise our voice for the motive “REUSE IT OR REFUSE IT”.Leave a reply →