COSCORIL 100ML SYRUP has the following salts in its composition
1) Bromhexine 2) Terbutaline
Uses Of COSCORIL 100ML SYRUP
Bromhexine, a mucolytic agent, is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- Respiratory disorders in association of viscid (or) mucus
- Chest congestion, Cough
It may also be used as an antioxidant due to its antioxidant properties.
Terbutaline is used for:
- Relieving symptoms of Asthma, bronchitis, COPD
- Delaying preterm labour (up to 48 hours)
Side Effects Of COSCORIL 100ML SYRUP
Side Effects Of Salt: Bromhexine
Some of the common side effects of Bromhexine are:
- A headache, dizziness
- Skin rashes
Rarely severe side effects such as the following may also be observed:
- Gastro intestinal side effects
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
Common side effects of Terbutaline are:
- Nervousness, anxiety
- Tachycardia, tremors
Contraindications Of COSCORIL 100ML SYRUP
Contraindications Of Salt: Bromhexine
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hyper sensitivity towards the drug Bromhexine or any other allergies.
- Pregnancy, breast feeding
- Gastric ulceration
- Hepatic impairment
- Renal impairment
Contraindications Of Salt: Terbutaline
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Any heart disease like abnormal heartbeat, high blood pressure
- Low blood potassium level
Acute bronchitis often referred to as chest cold, is an inflammation of the bronchial tubes.
Bronchial tubes are the airways which carry oxygen from the trachea (windpipe) to the lungs and carbon dioxide back from the lungs to the windpipe. When the bronchial tubes get infected by virus or bacteria, the swell and produce mucus. This mucous causes a cough in the infected person.
Bronchitis can be acute or chronic.
In acute bronchitis, the patient is sick for week and symptoms last for 1-2 weeks. It comes quickly and is usually self-limiting.
In chronic bronchitis, the patient has recurrent episodes of a cough and can last for a long time. A cough is accompanied with mucus for almost up to three months in a year, and it may take around two years to recover fully.
- Asthma is a chronic inflammatory condition of the airways in the lungs. Asthma can either be allergic (most common) or non-allergic.
- Allergic asthma is due to an allergic response known as a type 1 hypersensitivity reaction. People with asthma’s airways are hypersensitive to certain triggers. The allergic reaction causes narrowing of the small airways and leads to "air trapping" (known as an obstructive airway disease)
- There are different types of asthma- childhood onset asthma (usually before the age of 5), adult-onset asthma, exercise-induced asthma and aspirin induced asthma. Some asthma is known as seasonal asthma and occurs only at certain times of the year, usually with the changing of seasons such as during autumn or spring.
- Asthma is diagnosed with lung function tests. A spirometer or a PEFM (Peak Expiratory Flow Meter) is used in conjunction with a bronchodilator. The meter is used to assess your lung function before and after inhaling a fast-acting bronchodilator. A diagnosis of asthma is made when there is an improvement in lung function of more than 20% (PEFM) or more than 12%(when using a spirometer) after the bronchodilator is inhaled.
- Asthma is diagnosed when a patient has suggestive symptoms and a positive bronchodilator test.
Symptoms Treated With COSCORIL 100ML SYRUP
Acute bronchitis is contagious and spreads from person to person. Symptoms include:
- High-grade fever, a runny nose.
- Initial dry cough, which later changes to wet cough with mucous.
- Sneezing, watery eyes.
- Congestion in the nose.
- Head ache, a sore throat.
- Wheezing, tiredness.
- Body pain.
- Complications include high-grade fever, breathlessness, chest pain and pneumonia.
You can notice that the mucous changes in colour from white to green and then to yellow. It just means that your immune system is trying to fight off the infection.
What Are The Symptoms Of Asthma
- Symptoms of asthma are typically a wheezy or "tight" chest, shortness of breath and recurrent or persistent coughing that is worse at night and early mornings. Coughing or tight chest are often also present after exercise.
- Exercise-induced asthma typically only produces symptoms after exercise.
Causes of diseases where COSCORIL 100ML SYRUP is used
Acute bronchitis occurs more frequently in children and elderly people. However, all age groups are at risk of getting this disease.
- The main cause of this infection is a respiratory virus. Around 10% of cases are caused by a bacterial infection. Other factors which might increase the risk of an infection are:
- It is more common in the winter months.
- Repeated exposure to other persons with bronchitis or the common cold.
- People with a previous condition of upper respiratory tract infection may also get acute bronchitis.
- Exposure to dust, pollutants, chemical fumes, etc.
- Inhaling cigarette smoke.
- Failure to take vaccinations against diseases like whooping cough, pneumonia, and flu.
- Weakened immunity system makes it easy for viruses to cause infections.
What Are The Causes Of Asthma
- Mostly asthma starts in childhood and is often outgrown in early adulthood. Some asthmatics may, however, need treatment lifelong.
- Asthma has a strong genetic component and is part of the so-called "atopic triad" in childhood which includes allergic rhinitis, atopic dermatitis (eczema) and asthma.
- Early insult to a child's lungs such as neonatal pneumonia or bronchitis may play a role in developing asthma later.
- People with asthma have individual triggers. These triggers are commonly sensitivities to house-dust mites, grass, pollen, animal dander, dairy, wheat, nuts and soy products. Chest infections, cold air or air pollution can also trigger an attack.
- Adult onset starts in the early twenties. There is speculation about possible causes; genetics, smoking and a history of allergies seem to play the biggest part. It affects females more than males.
- Asthma can be caused/ triggered due to any of the following reasons:
1. Airborne substances like pollen, dust mites, pet dander or particles of cockroach waste.
2. Respiratory infections such as common cold
3. Exercise-induced asthma
4. Cold air
5. Air pollutants like smoke
6. Certain medications including beta blockers, aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen
7. Strong emotions, stress
8. Foods which contain Sulphites and preservatives
9. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
Asthma is a combination of environmental and genetic factors, as many people live in same conditions. Still, some people get asthma and some don’t.
Best Foods With COSCORIL 100ML SYRUP
For a speedy recovery from acute bronchitis, proper nourishment is as important as medicines and inhalers. In order to fight a cough and clear the bronchial tubes, you need to pep up your immune system.
- Green leafy vegetables like fenugreek leaves, spinach, and kale are rich in immunity boosters like antioxidants, flavonoids, and carotenoids. These help the body to fight off infections.
- Garlic is known to be antibacterial as well as antiviral. Eating raw garlic will help in preventing infections.
- Vitamin C is known to be a great immunity booster. Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, sweet lime, papaya, kiwi, strawberry, etc. and vegetables like Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. should be added to the diet.
- Incorporate healthy fatty acids found in walnuts, cold water fish, coconut, etc.
- Spicy food like chilli peppers is believed to stop a runny nose and thin the mucus and clear congestion.
What Are The Best Foods For Asthma
There are certain food items, which are commonly available in every household and are extremely effective in reducing the seriousness of asthma. Some best foods for asthma are given below:
- Garlic: Boiled in water, mixed with honey, it helps in reducing airway contraction.
- Mustard oil: Mix camphor in hot mustard oil and apply in on the chest, back and neck.
- Figs: Soak 3 pieces overnight in water and eat it empty stomach next day.
- Fresh Garlic: 2-3 cloves a day.
- Hot coffee.
- Eucalyptus Oil: It has decongestant properties. Add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil in the pot of hot boiling water and inhale the steam.
- Onions, Apples, carrots, melon, Avocados.
- Flax seeds.
Worst Foods With COSCORIL 100ML SYRUP
- Reduce the intake of milk as it tends to increase mucous production.
- Avoid fried food, sugary food and food made from refined flour. Do not eat candies, pastries, fries, ice cream, etc. They contain a lot of sugar and synthetic vitamins, which add little or no value to the body’s nutritional requirement.
- Avoid alcohol as well as caffeinated beverages. They dehydrate the body and make the mucous hard. This makes it difficult to remove from the body.
What Are The Worst Foods For Asthma
- Foods with preservatives added to them
- Wine, beer
- Eggs (for children, as some children are allergic to eggs)
- Excessive salt in food
- Oily, fatty foods
Do's With Usage of COSCORIL 100ML SYRUP
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Acute Bronchitis
- If you are suffering from acute bronchitis, do use a tissue to cover your mouth while coughing or sneezing. This will help in preventing your co-workers or friends from contracting this infection.
- If you are working in factories, do use a mask to avoid inhaling dust and smoke.
- Do wash your hands frequently, especially in the flu season, to get rid of any virus or germs that you might have picked up.
- Use humidifiers if you think there is an increase in humidity in the room.
- Inhale steam three to four times a day so that the mucous gets liquefied. It will clear congestion.
- Do take vaccination for flu every year.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Do take rest.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Asthma
- Identify your asthma triggers and avoid them.
- Always cover yourself fully (especially chest, feet and ears) before going out in cold weather.
- Avoid exercises beyond your physical stamina. Do not over exert.
- Always wear pollution mask if you are staying in high pollution area.
- If asthma is hampering your day to day activities, pl. consult your doctor as he might change your medication.
- Wash your bed sheets and pillow covers every week in hot water to get rid of dust mites.
- Reduce stress.·
- Consult your general practitioner or paediatrician early if your child shows symptoms of asthma. Asthma can be potentially life-threatening, especially in an acute episode.
- Make sure your asthma is controlled. Follow-up with your doctor six months to review and adjust your treatment is necessary. If your asthma is well controlled, your doctor may consider tapering down your treatment.
- Consider doing an allergy test- blood or skin prick. If you have allergic asthma, it will be helpful to know what the triggers are and how to avoid them
Dont's With Usage Of COSCORIL 100ML SYRUP
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Acute Bronchitis
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid being around people who smoke. Passive smoking also causes bronchitis.
- Avoid going out in damp weather.
- If you have acute bronchitis, be considerate of others by not going out in public places, parks and malls.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Asthma
- Avoid pets.
- Remove carpets and soft toys from the room of your child as these accumulate dust, dust mites which trigger an asthma attack.
- Avoid dampness in the house. Let fresh air come in. Keep all areas of your house dry.
- Do not smoke, avoid being close to people who smoke.
- Avoid burning of incense (Pooja agarbatti) at home, since it triggers an asthma attack.
- Avoid going to kitchen when food is being cooked, especially frying etc.·
- Do not delay seeking treatment when you suspect to have a chest infection. Because your airways are hyper reactive, an infection can easily trigger an acute asthma attack.
- Do not leave your house without your reliever pump or allow your medication to run out. An acute episode can occur at any time and may be fatal.
- Do not smoke if you have asthma or smoke around your child who has asthma. Passive smoking's effects are just as harmful.
Other Useful Tips With Usage OfCOSCORIL 100ML SYRUP
The most important advice is to quit smoking. Secondly, proper hygiene and sanitation are very important to prevent infections. Add to this, an active lifestyle with a balanced diet plays a great role in staying fit and healthy.
What Are The Tips For Asthma
Having a nebuliser at home will be helpful for acute asthmatic episodes.