FAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S has the following salts in its composition
Uses Of FAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S
Famotidine is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- Stomach ulcers and intestinal ulcers and their reoccurrence.
- Stomach and throat problems like oesophagitis, gastro-oesophageal reFlux, persistent Cough.
- Heart burn
- Stomach Pain
- Swallowing problems
Side Effects Of FAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S
Side Effects Of Salt: FAMOTIDINE
The common side effects of famotidine are:
- Constipation or diarrhoea
Some severe ( but rare) side effects are:
- Mental/ mood changes
- Signs of throat infection
- Easy bleeding
- Irregular / fast / slow heart beat
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
Contraindications Of FAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S
Contraindications Of Salt: FAMOTIDINE
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hyper sensitivity towards the drug famotidine or any other allergies.
- Kidney problems
- Lung problems (COPD)
- Immune system problems
- Stomach tumours
GORD occurs when there is an abnormal amount of stomach acid that leaks back into the oesophagus, leading to symptoms and possible damage to the lining of the oesophagus. There are different causes for GORD, but usually, there is some impairment of the functioning of the lower oesophageal sphincter (LES). This sphincter connects the oesophagus to the stomach, and contracts to prevent reflux of stomach contents into the oesophagus during and after eating.
If GORD is not treated, the damaged cells in the oesophagus can change into different cell types than normally found in the oesophagus. This condition is called Barrett’s oesophagus. If this is left untreated, it can progress to oesophageal cancer.
GORD can be diagnosed with specific tests:
If GORD is suspected, gastroscopy is usually the first investigation performed. A flexible tube with a camera lens is “swallowed” and allows the doctor to visualise the oesophagus and stomach. Stomach ulcers can also be excluded during the same procedure. The doctor will usually take a piece of oesophageal tissue (called a biopsy) and test it to see if there are any abnormal cells (Barrett’s oesophagus) or malignant cells. The biopsy may also show some yeast like Candida Albicans or bacteria like H.Pylori present in the oesophageal tissue that will need treatment.
Monitoring of the oesophagus’ pH over twenty-four hours can also be performed to assess for abnormal spikes of acid (low pH).
Manometry measures the pressure inside the oesophagus as well as the sphincter's contraction.
Radiological procedures such as a barium swallow (swallowing of a contrast medium while taking an X-ray) can also be performed to assess sphincter functionality and exclude any narrowing or masses in the oesophagus.
White men are more at risk for oesophageal cancer than any other population group. GORD is more prevalent in patients over the age of
- Stomach ulcers are the painful sores or ulcers found in the stomach or the first part of small intestine (duodenum). These happen when the thick layer of mucus lining in the stomach gets away and the digestive acids in the stomach start degrading the lining of the stomach.
- It is suggested to start the treatment right-away for the ulcers.
Symptoms Treated With FAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S
If you suffer from GORD, you may have some of the typical symptoms. Heartburn is the commonest complaint. You may have pain after eating or during swallowing (referred to as “dysphagia”). Sometimes it may feel as though the food “gets stuck” just to the bottom of your sternum(breastbone). You make wake up with the taste of acid in the mouth (“waterbrash”), due to stomach acid reflux while lying down.
Some people may have atypical symptoms caused by GORD. Atypical symptoms may include:
- Chronic irritating cough
- Hoarse voice due to acid reflux affecting the vocal chords
- Retrosternal chest pain (pain behind the breastbone) due to spasm of the LES when swallowing food.
- Pain in stomach, weight loss, lost appetite due to pain, bloats, vomits, nausea, burping, burning sensation in the chest and pain reduces on consuming antacids.
Causes of diseases where FAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S is used
GORD is most often caused by a lowered tone in the lower oesophageal sphincter (LES)
Factors/Causes that affect the functioning of the LES:
- Hiatus hernias
- Raised intra-abdominal pressure due to pregnancy, intra-abdominal masses, obesity or being overweight
- Pregnancy: Progesterone lowers the tone of the oesophageal sphincter, as well as the combination of increased abdominal pressure
Factors that reduce the tone of the LES:
- Delayed emptying of the stomach called gastroparesis will also contribute to GORD. This may occur in patients with diabetes or other abnormalities of digestion.
Medications that can contribute to the development of GORD:
- NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories)
- Blood pressure treatments such as calcium channel blockers(CCB)
- These can happen due to: bacterial infection, chronic use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, smoking or tobacco, radiations from a treatment, acidity or Zollinger-Ellison syndrome ( the disease in which stomach produces the excess of acid).
Best Foods With FAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S
- High fibre foods that assist with gastric emptying
- Whole wheat grains, bread, pasta, brown rice
- Vegetables high in fibre- butternut, spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, Brussel sprouts, beans
- Fruits high in fibre: Apple, pears, berries- strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, mango, guava
Foods that must be consumed if suffering from ulcers in the stomach:
- Flavonoids are very effective to treat ulcers as they keep the stomach lining intact and are found in soy, legumes, red grapes, kale, broccoli, apple, berries and tea (more in green tea).
- Deglycyrrhizinated liquorice: The old plain herb, liquorice helps in the healing of ulcers.
- Probiotics are very good for the digestive health. Common foods are yogurt, buttermilk, miso(fermented soybeans with salt and koji).
- Honey, Garlic, cranberry decreases the growth of Helicobacter pylori ( the bacterium that commonly causes ulcers).
Worst Foods With FAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S
- Carbonated drinks (CO lowers tone of LES)
- Spicy foods
What Are The Worst Foods For Stomach ulcers
Foods to avoid if suffering from the ulcers:
- Coffee (not even the decaf)
- Chilis and hot peppers
- Salty red food
- Carbonated beverages and processed foods.
Do's With Usage of FAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S
- Avoid large meals. Eat small regular meals during the day
- Restrict fluid intake 3 hours before bedtime
- Raise the head of your bed or sleep on 2-3 pillows to help prevent reflux that occurs more easily when lying down
- Lose weight if you are overweight
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Stomach ulcers
- Drink lots of water.
- Eat small frequent meals.
Dont's With Usage Of FAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S
- Don’t lie down immediately after eating.
- Don’t consume large meals high and fat and protein that takes longer to digest and delay stomach emptying.
- Don’t stay away from foods that lower the LES tone (see below).
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Stomach ulcers
Other Useful Tips With Usage OfFAMONEXT 20 TABLET 14`S
If you have been suffering from heartburn for a long time, and been treating yourself at home, it is advisable to go to a doctor for a gastroscopy to rule out damage to your oesophagus as this can predispose you to develop cancer.