FURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY has the following salts in its composition
1) Fluticasone 2) Azelastine
Uses Of FURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY
Fluticasone Propionate is a steroid, used to treat asthma, allergic rhinitis and inflammation of oesophagus.
It can also be used to treat various allergic skin conditions.
It is prescribed for the treatment of rhinitis ( the condition where inflammation and allergy of the mucous membrane inside the nose occurs).
It helps in relieving the symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, runny nose and post-nasal drip. It is used in nasal spray and as ophthalmic preparations also.
Side Effects Of FURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY
Most of the people using this medication do not have any serious side-effects. However, some people may experience:
- Nausea, Vomiting
- Nasal Irritation
- Cough, Headache
- Throat irritation
Consult your doctor if any of the following less likely, but severe side effects occurs:
- Nosebleeds, Runny nose
- Redness, Sores, Fever, chills
- Inflammation of face or neck
- Tiredness, and shortness of breath
- Weakness, Flu symptoms
- White patches in nose or throat and are painful, sore throat
Side Effects Of Salt: Azelastine
Some of the common side-effects may be:
- Nasal irritation and burning
- A sore throat,
- Dry mouth, and
- Bitter taste
Consult your doctor if any of the above-listed side effects gets worse.
Contraindications Of FURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY
Contraindications Of Salt: Fluticasone
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Pregnant or planning for pregnancy, breast feeding.
- Unhealed nasal wound
- Hepatic impairment
Contraindications Of Salt: Azelastine
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Pregnant or planning for pregnancy, breast feeding.
- Asthma is a chronic inflammatory condition of the airways in the lungs. Asthma can either be allergic (most common) or non-allergic.
- Allergic asthma is due to an allergic response known as a type 1 hypersensitivity reaction. People with asthma’s airways are hypersensitive to certain triggers. The allergic reaction causes narrowing of the small airways and leads to "air trapping" (known as an obstructive airway disease)
- There are different types of asthma- childhood onset asthma (usually before the age of 5), adult-onset asthma, exercise-induced asthma and aspirin induced asthma. Some asthma is known as seasonal asthma and occurs only at certain times of the year, usually with the changing of seasons such as during autumn or spring.
- Asthma is diagnosed with lung function tests. A spirometer or a PEFM (Peak Expiratory Flow Meter) is used in conjunction with a bronchodilator. The meter is used to assess your lung function before and after inhaling a fast-acting bronchodilator. A diagnosis of asthma is made when there is an improvement in lung function of more than 20% (PEFM) or more than 12%(when using a spirometer) after the bronchodilator is inhaled.
- Asthma is diagnosed when a patient has suggestive symptoms and a positive bronchodilator test.
Rhinitis is defined as an infectious disease in which the irritation and inflammation of the mucous membrane occur inside the nose. This inflammation is caused by a bacterial or viral infection or by the attack of allergens or irritants.
Rhinitis is of three different types namely:
- Infectious rhinitis: Occurring due to bacterial or viral infection
- Non-allergic rhinitis: Drug-induced or due to environmental factors
- Allergic rhinitis: Caused by irritants or allergens
Allergic rhinitis is the most common among these 3 types. It is triggered by airborne allergens.
Symptoms Treated With FURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY
What Are The Symptoms Of Asthma
- Symptoms of asthma are typically a wheezy or "tight" chest, shortness of breath and recurrent or persistent coughing that is worse at night and early mornings. Coughing or tight chest are often also present after exercise.
- Exercise-induced asthma typically only produces symptoms after exercise.
What Are The Symptoms Of Rhinitis
Common symptoms of rhinitis are:
- Sneezing, running nose
- Stuffy nose, nasal itching
- Watery eyes
- A cough, wheeze
- Swollen eyelids, headaches
Causes of diseases where FURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY is used
What Are The Causes Of Asthma
- Mostly asthma starts in childhood and is often outgrown in early adulthood. Some asthmatics may, however, need treatment lifelong.
- Asthma has a strong genetic component and is part of the so-called "atopic triad" in childhood which includes allergic rhinitis, atopic dermatitis (eczema) and asthma.
- Early insult to a child's lungs such as neonatal pneumonia or bronchitis may play a role in developing asthma later.
- People with asthma have individual triggers. These triggers are commonly sensitivities to house-dust mites, grass, pollen, animal dander, dairy, wheat, nuts and soy products. Chest infections, cold air or air pollution can also trigger an attack.
- Adult onset starts in the early twenties. There is speculation about possible causes; genetics, smoking and a history of allergies seem to play the biggest part. It affects females more than males.
- Asthma can be caused/ triggered due to any of the following reasons:
1. Airborne substances like pollen, dust mites, pet dander or particles of cockroach waste.
2. Respiratory infections such as common cold
3. Exercise-induced asthma
4. Cold air
5. Air pollutants like smoke
6. Certain medications including beta blockers, aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen
7. Strong emotions, stress
8. Foods which contain Sulphites and preservatives
9. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
Asthma is a combination of environmental and genetic factors, as many people live in same conditions. Still, some people get asthma and some don’t.
What Are The Causes Of Rhinitis
Rhinitis is caused by viral or bacterial infection or by airborne allergens. Causes of rhinitis are mentioned below according to their types:
- Infectious rhinitis: This type of rhinitis is commonly caused by viral or bacterial infection. Common cold also causes infectious rhinitis.
- Non-allergic rhinitis: This type of rhinitis is not caused by infection or allergy but it can be due to certain medications, hormonal changes, occupation or environmental changes.
- Allergic rhinitis: This type of rhinitis is caused by exposure to airborne allergens such as pollens, mold, dust, animal dander etc.
Best Foods With FURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY
What Are The Best Foods For Asthma
There are certain food items, which are commonly available in every household and are extremely effective in reducing the seriousness of asthma. Some best foods for asthma are given below:
- Garlic: Boiled in water, mixed with honey, it helps in reducing airway contraction.
- Mustard oil: Mix camphor in hot mustard oil and apply in on the chest, back and neck.
- Figs: Soak 3 pieces overnight in water and eat it empty stomach next day.
- Fresh Garlic: 2-3 cloves a day.
- Hot coffee.
- Eucalyptus Oil: It has decongestant properties. Add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil in the pot of hot boiling water and inhale the steam.
- Onions, Apples, carrots, melon, Avocados.
- Flax seeds.
What Are The Best Foods For Rhinitis
- Green leafy vegetables: These are the good sources of vitamins and minerals and help to build strong immunity. Vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, carrot, cabbage should be added to your daily diet to complete the nutrition in your diet.
- Probiotics: These are anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic in nature. Yoghurt, Kefir, Miso soup, Tempeh are the best probiotics to avoid rhinitis.
- Vitamin C rich food: Vitamin c is supposed to anti-inflammatory and contains antioxidants which help in detoxification of the blood. It reduces the release of histamines. Oranges, berries, apples, watermelons are the good sources of vitamin C
- Omega-3 fatty acids: High consumption of omega -3 rich foods reduces the risk of rhinitis due to its anti-inflammatory action. Flax seeds, walnuts, soybeans, salmon, oysters, cod liver oil, cold fish, etc are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Quercetin rich food: Quercetin is also one of the best anti-inflammatory elements which reduce the risk of rhinitis. Broccoli, red grapes, cherries, raspberries, capers, red onions, etc are good sources of Quercetin.
Worst Foods With FURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY
What Are The Worst Foods For Asthma
- Foods with preservatives added to them
- Wine, beer
- Eggs (for children, as some children are allergic to eggs)
- Excessive salt in food
- Oily, fatty foods
What Are The Worst Foods For Rhinitis
- Gluten: Foods such as wheat, oats, and barley contains gluten which should be avoided. Gluten increases the mucus production leading to nasal blockage.
- Fried and processed foods: Fried and processed foods are rich in omega 6 fatty acids which increase inflammation. Whole grains, vegetable oils, nuts should be avoided to minimise the risk.
- Cold drinks and cold food: This type of food increases the spasm leading to a cough. These worsen the symptoms of rhinitis, hence should be avoided.
- Nuts, seeds and herbs: These contain ragweed, a type of pollen which triggers the rhinitis.
- Food preservatives: Preservatives are also responsible for exacerbating the allergic rhinitis. Artificial colours and flavours present in foods trigger the symptoms of rhinitis.
- Sugar: Eliminate sugar. It increases mucus production and worsens the symptoms.
- Dairy products: Dairy products contain lactose which tends to increase inflammation and mucus formation. Such products should be avoided to manage rhinitis.
- Alcohol: Alcohol consumption should be limited as it causes dehydration and increases congestion by stimulating the production of mucus.
Do's With Usage of FURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Asthma
- Identify your asthma triggers and avoid them.
- Always cover yourself fully (especially chest, feet and ears) before going out in cold weather.
- Avoid exercises beyond your physical stamina. Do not over exert.
- Always wear pollution mask if you are staying in high pollution area.
- If asthma is hampering your day to day activities, pl. consult your doctor as he might change your medication.
- Wash your bed sheets and pillow covers every week in hot water to get rid of dust mites.
- Reduce stress.·
- Consult your general practitioner or paediatrician early if your child shows symptoms of asthma. Asthma can be potentially life-threatening, especially in an acute episode.
- Make sure your asthma is controlled. Follow-up with your doctor six months to review and adjust your treatment is necessary. If your asthma is well controlled, your doctor may consider tapering down your treatment.
- Consider doing an allergy test- blood or skin prick. If you have allergic asthma, it will be helpful to know what the triggers are and how to avoid them
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Rhinitis
- Stay away from the cause if it is known.
- Keep your mouth and nose covered while going out.’
- Keep yourself and your living area clean to reduce the attacks of allergens.
- Regularly clean your nasal passage with a saltwater solution. This will help you keep your nose free of irritants and minimise the symptoms.
- Inhale steam to clear the excess mucus and irritants.
- Drink plenty of water to remove the toxins from the body.
- Keep your pets neat and clean to avoid exposure to animal dander.
- Limit outdoor activities during dusk and dawn.
- Take your medications regularly as prescribed to manage the symptoms.
Dont's With Usage Of FURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Asthma
- Avoid pets.
- Remove carpets and soft toys from the room of your child as these accumulate dust, dust mites which trigger an asthma attack.
- Avoid dampness in the house. Let fresh air come in. Keep all areas of your house dry.
- Do not smoke, avoid being close to people who smoke.
- Avoid burning of incense (Pooja agarbatti) at home, since it triggers an asthma attack.
- Avoid going to kitchen when food is being cooked, especially frying etc.·
- Do not delay seeking treatment when you suspect to have a chest infection. Because your airways are hyper reactive, an infection can easily trigger an acute asthma attack.
- Do not leave your house without your reliever pump or allow your medication to run out. An acute episode can occur at any time and may be fatal.
- Do not smoke if you have asthma or smoke around your child who has asthma. Passive smoking's effects are just as harmful.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Rhinitis
- Don’t over medicate to get fast relief as it may cause serious side effects.
- Don’t dry your clothes outside as it may attract pollens.
- Don’t touch your pet as this will increase the risk for allergy.
- Don’t ignore the symptoms and rush to the doctor if symptoms get worse.
- Avoid tobacco and smoking.
- Avoid alcohol consumption as it causes nasal blockage.
Other Useful Tips With Usage OfFURAMIST AZ NASAL SPRAY
What Are The Tips For Asthma
Having a nebuliser at home will be helpful for acute asthmatic episodes.
What Are The Tips For Rhinitis
Rhinitis can be managed by making some changes in your eating habits and lifestyle. Some home remedies are also beneficial in managing rhinitis and its symptoms. These are:
Ginger: This is a natural antihistamine, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral in nature. This helps in boosting the immune system and fighting signs of rhinitis. It can be chewed directly or can be taken with honey or boiled in the tea.
Saline water: Saline water helps to clear the nasal passage. Saline water can be prepared by mixing salt and baking soda in warm water.
Steam: Inhaling steam also reduces the symptoms of rhinitis. The essential oil should be mixed with boiling water and then inhaled to cure the symptoms.
Garlic: Garlic has the anti-inflammatory action which helps in reducing the inflammation during rhinitis. Eating 2-3 raw garlic cloves can protect from risk of rhinitis.
Apple cider vinegar: This is a natural remedy to boost the immune system and to reduce the worsening symptoms of rhinitis. It has antibacterial properties. It can be consumed with warm water or along with honey or lemon.
Turmeric: One of the oldest home remedies which have been used for centuries is the use of turmeric. It helps in reducing the inflammation and the risk of rhinitis through its anti-inflammatory action. It is powerful antioxidant also. It can be consumed with milk or honey.