NEOSPORIN SKIN OINMENT has the following salts in its composition
1) Polymyxin B Sulfate 2) Neomycin 3) Bacitracin zinc
Uses Of NEOSPORIN SKIN OINMENT
Polymyxin B sulfate is used in following conditions:
- Bacterial infections of the eye like conjunctivitis, blepharitis.
Neomycin is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- To reduce risk of infections after intestinal surgery
- Bacterial infections
- Hepatic encephalopathy (brain problems)
Side Effects Of NEOSPORIN SKIN OINMENT
Polymyxin B sulfate is usually safe, but in some cases, it may cause:
- Temporary eye stinging / redness / itching / burning
- Temporary blurred vision.
Side Effects Of Salt: Neomycin
The common side effects of neomycin are:
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea
Sometimes severe ( but rare) side effects may be:
- Numbness/tingling of legs
- Weakness, difficulty in walking
- Muscle twitching, seizures
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
Contraindications Of NEOSPORIN SKIN OINMENT
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards the drug polymyxin B sulfate or any other allergies.
- Using contact lenses.
Contraindications Of Salt: Neomycin
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hyper sensitivity towards the drug neomycin or any other allergies.
- Intestinal problems
- Hearing problems
- Parkinson’s disease
- Kidney problems
Redness or inflammation in the area under the eyelid and the eye’s white area is called conjunctivitis. It may be caused by physical agents such as ultraviolet rays or infrared rays, allergic reactions, or an infection.
Conjunctiva, which is a delicate and thin membrane covering the eyeball, and lining the eye lid, gets inflamed resulting in conjunctivitis. Conjunctivitis is a prevalent eye issue due to the continuous exposure of conjunctiva to the environmental agents, and microorganism, which may cause allergic reactions or infections. Conjunctivitis can either be chronic, or acute. It depends on the duration, type of agent or organism involved, and symptom of the disease. Either one or both the eyes can get affected if it is caused by an infection. Even it easily gets transmitted if other people come in contact with an infected person. Conjunctivitis is highly contagious. Other names famous for conjunctivitis are a red eye or pink eye.
- Bacteria are the single celled, microscopic organisms which are essential for many processes of human body and a few of them are responsible for causing harm. A bacterial infection refers to the condition when there is accumulation of harmful bacteria inside or on the human body.
When the brain function declines due to severe disease of the liver, this condition is known as hepatic encephalopathy. It occurs when the liver cannot remove the toxins from the blood properly, which results in the build-up of toxins in the blood leading to brain damage.
Hepatic Encephalopathy is of 2 types – chronic (long term) and acute (short-term). The patient suffering from hepatic encephalopathy can also go into a coma.
Acute hepatic encephalopathy occurs due to severe disease of the liver and this mainly occurs in people suffering from the following conditions:
- Toxic Hepatitis:Caused due to drugs (prescription or recreational), chemicals, alcohol or supplements.
- Acute Fulminant Viral Hepatitis:Severe kind of viral hepatitis that occurs suddenly.
- Reye’s Syndrome:This is usually a serious condition that occurs in children and causes sudden inflammation of the liver and the brain. This is condition is quite rare.
Acute hepatic encephalopathy can also reflect a symptom of liver failure.
Chronic hepatic encephalopathy can be recurrent or permanent.
- Permanent Hepatic Encephalopathy:This is usually seen in patients who suffer from permanent neurological problems like spinal cord injury or seizure disorder and also don’t respond to medical treatment. Permanent hepatic encephalopathy is a rare condition.
- Recurrent Hepatic Encephalopathy: In this case, the person can have several episodes of hepatic encephalopathy through their lives and require continual treatment to stop the development of the symptoms. This form of hepatic encephalopathy is usually seen in patients with severe liver cirrhosis.
There are 4 stages of hepatic encephalopathy
- In the 1st stage, the sleep patterns may get affected and the patient may suffer from restlessness, anxiety and depression.
- In the 2nd stage, there may be personality changes, with an inability to complete mental tasks and the patient may suffer from disorientation.
- In Stage 3, the behaviour may become more aggressive and bizarre. The patient may suffer from paranoia and speech may become difficult to understand.
- In Stage 4, the patient may go into a coma and becomes unresponsive to any pain or treatment.
Symptoms Treated With NEOSPORIN SKIN OINMENT
Symptoms or signs of conjunctivitis differ on the basis of the factor responsible for it: Certain symptoms may be:
- Eyes become red or pink.
- White or green sticky discharge may ooze out from the eyes.
- Vision may get blurred.
- Inflammation is caused in the eyes.
- Eyes may feel a burning sensation.
- Eyes may become more sensitive to light.
- Itchiness may be felt in the eyes.
- Tear flow from the eyes increases and one may a have watery eyes all the time.
- Feeling of grittiness may be felt all the time in the eyes.
- Eyelashes may feel sticky after one wakes up.
- Enlargement of the lymph nodes in the ears.
- Pain or burning sensation may be felt.
- A sore throat and fever may be caused in the case of viral conjunctivitis.
- The symptoms of bacterial infections are running nose, cough, headache, restlessness. The signs of bacterial infection can be easily confused with viral infection; doctors can make out the difference by examining particular signs.
The symptoms of moderate hepatic encephalopathy are:
- Personality changes
- Difficulty in thinking
- Poor concentration
- Forgetfulness and brain fog, confusion
- Loss of small hand movements and having problems with handwriting
- Sweet breath odor or musty breath
- Poor judgement
The symptoms of severe hepatic encephalopathy include:
- Drowsiness or lethargy, confusion
- Seizures, anxiety, fatigue
- Serious personality changes
- Confused speech, slow movements, shaky hands
Causes of diseases where NEOSPORIN SKIN OINMENT is used
There can be various reasons that may cause conjunctivitis. These factors can be as follows:
- Bacterial conjunctivitis: In bacterial conjunctivitis, if one gets affected, then the infection may spread to another eye. It may be caused by certain bacteria, which are such as Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenza, and Staphylococcus aureus.
- Viral infection: It may be experienced in either one or both the eyes. It is an extremely contagious infection, which can be caused by airborne viruses. These viruses may get spread through coughing or sneezing.
- Sexually transmitted diseases: Certain Sexually transmitted diseases, which include chlamydia and gonorrhoea may result in Conjunctivitis knows as chlamydial and gonococcal conjunctivitis respectively. This may be transferred from one partner to another while copulating.
- Neonatal conjunctivitis: A newly born baby might get affected by conjunctivitis while passing through infected mother’s birth canal. A type of chlamydial infection known as trachoma is the cause of eye’s surface scarring. The leading reason of preventable blindness is the trachoma.
- Irritants: Conjunctivitis may be caused by Irritants, which may be like loose eyelashes, fumes, smoke, shampoo, and swimming pool’ chlorinated water.
- Allergic Conjunctivitis: This can be caused by certain irritants like pet dander, dust mites, or pollen.
- Contact Dermato Conjunctivitis: This type of conjunctivitis may be caused by makeup products, certain chemicals, or contact lenses.
- Giant papillary conjunctivitis: It may be caused by eye stitches from an eye surgery, and things that come in contact with eyes during the surgery.
- Bacterial Infections can be caught by someone’s sneezing, coughing, sex, contaminated food or water, infected pets or livestock.
The actual cause of hepatic encephalopathy is not known and is usually caused due to toxin build-up in the blood which enters the brain. The toxins can also cause damage to the nerves and other organs.
Hepatic encephalopathy can be caused by:
- Kidney problems
- Infections like pneumonia
- Hypoxia or low levels of oxygen
- Trauma or surgery
- Medications used to suppress the immune system
- Eating excessive protein
- Electrolyte imbalance due to a fall in potassium levels after taking diuretics or vomiting
- Medications like benzodiazepine tranquillizers or barbiturates which suppress the nervous system
Worst Foods With NEOSPORIN SKIN OINMENT
What Are The Worst Foods For Conjunctivitis
Some of the bad foods for curing conjunctivitis patients are as follows:
- Starch containing foods: Conjunctivitis patient must avoid a huge intake of sugar and starch rich foods, as it may worsen the inflammation caused by conjunctivitis. Some of the sugar and starch comprised foods are jams, cookies, cakes, pastries, pies, puddings, doughnut, pancakes, potatoes, refined cereals, white bread, canned fruits, and syrups.
- Spicy foods: consumption of spicy foods may delay the process of healing the infection caused by conjunctivitis. Also, spicy foods may promote the inflammation in the eyes during conjunctivitis. Some of the spicy foods that must be avoided by conjunctivitis patients are spicy curry, pickles, and Schezwan sauce.
Foods that must not be consumed if suffering from Bacterial Infection are:
- Unpasteurized and contaminated dairy products
- Protein foods (raw meat, tofu, eggs and fish)
- Raw and dirty fruits15vegetable sprouts
- Salads from market
- Refrigerated salsa
- Uncooked grain and miso products
- Brewed tea
- Unpasteurized juices
- Herbal Supplements
- Avoid eating a lot of meat, as this may cause the production of too much of ammonia which is harmful to the liver and switch to other sources of protein such as dairy, legumes, beans, vegetables, etc.
- If the condition of hepatic encephalopathy has been caused due to eating too much of protein, then avoid high-protein foods like red meat, fish, eggs and poultry.
- Avoid too much of salt in your food and avoid salty foods like bacon, salted nuts, hot dogs, canned foods, etc as this aggravates the condition of hepatic encephalopathy.
- Avoid sugary foods and beverages like fruit juice, soda, energy drinks, canned fruit, breakfast cereal, candies, etc as these worsens the symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy.
- Avoid fatty foods like fries, burgers, fast food, etc., as these foods are very harmful to the liver.
Do's With Usage of NEOSPORIN SKIN OINMENT
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Conjunctivitis
Tips to follow while suffering from conjunctivitis are as follows:
- Cover One’s nose and mouth while coughing or sneezing: An infected person must keep his/her mouth and nose cover during coughing and sneezing. Doing so may prevent the fluid discharge from nose and mouth of an infected person to come in contact with a healthy person. This then transfers the infection from infected person to the healthy one.
- Keep the eyes clean: There is a fluid discharge during conjunctivitis. This discharge is contagious and can transmit the infection from one person to another. Hence it is essential to clean the discharge time to time with a clean wet cloth, cotton, or a tissue paper. After using these things make sure to dispose them off safely. If not disposed of, they might spread infection when comes in contact with healthy people.
- Keep washing hands repeatedly: One should wash his/her hands frequently if suffering from Conjunctivitis. Doing this helps to wash away the germs which reduce the risk of transfer from touching the infected person. If not washing, then keep a hand sanitizer with oneself to keep sanitizing the hands repeatedly. One must sanitize his/her hands before touching objects of daily use like door knobs, laptop, remote control, mobile phones etc.
- Wear Sunglasses: A must tip to follow when suffering from conjunctivitis is keeping the sunglasses on. Because during conjunctivitis one’s eyes become extremely sensitive to certain factors like sun light, wind, dust, fumes, smoke, etc. Also, keep cleaning the sunglasses time to time to keep it germ-free.
- Maintain hygiene and a healthy distance from others: Hygiene maintenance is important, so that the infection does not spread to one’s family members, and loved ones. Keep oneself away from public places like school, college, work place, etc.
- Lie on the affected side: Doing this may prevent discharge coming in contact with an unaffected eye and reduces the chances of infecting the healthy eye.
- Wash one’s belongings separately: Items used by the infected person like clothes, handkerchief, towel etc. must be cleaned separately using the clothes disinfectant in hot water to kill infection causing microbes.
- Warm or cold compress must be used: One must apply warm compress on infection-based conjunctivitis and cold compress when the conjunctivitis is caused by an irritant or an allergic reaction.
- Keep oneself refrained from smoke, dust, and other irritants as eyes are sensitive during conjunctivitis.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Bacterial Infections
- The habit of washing hands frequently must be developed.
- Keep the household objects that are used by many clean (Telephones, keys, doorknobs, taps, sink etc.).
- Wash fruits and vegetables well before eating.
- Toys for toddlers must be kept clean.
- Get properly vaccinated.
- Take care of general well being.
- Keep your ears neat.
- Don’t use cotton swabs, hairpins or clips for cleaning your ears.
By preventing or managing the liver disease, you can prevent hepatic encephalopathy and taking these steps can help to reduce the risk of liver disease such as:
- Avoiding alcohol.
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Following a healthy diet and avoiding foods that are high in fat.
- Avoiding drugs or sharing needles.
Taking care to avoid contracting viral hepatitis by following steps such as:
- Washing hands after using the bathroom or changing diapers.
- Avoiding close contact with people suffering from viral hepatitis.
- Avoiding sharing needles.
Changing your diet and eating smaller and more frequent meals than 3 big meals in a day thereby reducing the period of fasting.
Treating any infection immediately.
Treating urinary blockages immediately.
Dont's With Usage Of NEOSPORIN SKIN OINMENT
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Conjunctivitis
One must take care to avoid following things while suffering from conjunctivitis:
- Do not rub or touch the affected eye: Rubbing and touching the infected eye may worsen the condition and symptoms of conjunctivitis. It may cause inflammation and irritation to increase.
- Do not cover the infected eye with an eye pad, as warmth worsen the problem. Use dark glasses instead.
- Do not let others use one’s personal belongings: Anything that is used by the patient of conjunctivitis should not come in contact with other. As it may consist of germs. One must stop sharing items like a towel, eye drops, eye makeup products, sunglasses, etc. if suffering from conjunctivitis. Even if one comes in contact with the belongings of an infected person, then he/she must sanitize their hands with antiseptic soap and warm water.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Bacterial Infections
- Avoid consuming contaminated or easily mishandled food.
- Don’t consume stale food
- Avoid smoking and being a passive smoker.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Hepatic encephalopathy
- Avoid medications like narcotics and sedatives which can cause liver problems.
- Avoid alcohol completely, as it harms the liver cells and causes liver damage.
- Avoid electrolyte abnormalities, for instance, low levels of potassium increase the risk of hepatic encephalopathy.
- Avoid medications that suppress the central nervous system.
Other Useful Tips With Usage OfNEOSPORIN SKIN OINMENT
- One can put a cold compress on his/her eyes if suffering from allergic conjunctivitis.
- One should try staying indoors to avoid spreading the infection to others.
- Rubbing eyes is strictly not allowed in conjunctivitis.
- Certain natural treatments for conjunctivitis are as followed:
- Holy Basil: Holy basil has healing properties. It strengthens one’s immune system, which helps to fight the infection. It also has soothing and anti-inflammatory properties, which shields the eyes against free radicals, and environmental factors. Holy basil can also fight with fungal eye infections, bacteria and virus infections.
- One can add basil leaves to the boiling water for about 10 minutes. This water containing basil leaves can be used to wash eyes, also one can dip wash cloth or cotton pads in basil water, which may help to clean the eyes.
- Green Tea: Green tea is full of antioxidants and bioflavonoids. Hence, green tea helps to relieve inflammation, and irritation caused due to conjunctivitis by fighting against viral and bacterial infection.
- One tea bag of a green tea can be soaked in a boiling water and let the tea cool down to the room temperature. Now, use the green tea to wash the infected eye or it can also be used as a compress to provide warmth by dipping a cotton pad in green tea.
- A gel made of Aloe Vera leaves: Elements present in a gel made of Aloe vera like emodin have antiviral and anti-bacterial properties. Hence, Aloe vera helps to fight the conjunctivitis infection. Also, Aloe vera helps to decrease the inflammation caused by conjunctivitis infection, and increase the healing rate. One can use Aloe vera gel around the eyelid and eyes, as soon as the symptoms of pink eye or conjunctivitis are noticed.
- Once the signs of conjunctivitis are noticed, put aloe gel near the eyelids and eyes. Some of the eye drops also consist of Aloe Vera gel, to reduce inflammation and some other eye issues.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is well known for its healing abilities. It also diminishes the inflammation; hence it works effectively in conjunctivitis and reduces the symptoms efficiently.
- 2 tbsp of powdered turmeric can be boiled in a cup of water. Then, a clean wash cloth or cotton pad can be dipped in the turmeric water and can be applied on the infected eye. It helps to relieve the symptoms to a great extent.
- Oil made from Indian lilac (Neem Oil): Indian lilac has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory characteristics that help to aid the conjunctivitis symptoms. Gently dab the Indian lilac oil near the eyelid and eyes to relieve the conjunctivitis symptoms.
Please consult a doctor before opting for any of these natural treatments for conjunctivitis.
Following yoga and meditation can help to reduce anxiety and stress and can be beneficial for the condition of hepatic encephalopathy.