SOMPRAZ D 40 has the following salts in its composition
1) Esomeprazole 2) Domperidone
Uses Of SOMPRAZ D 40
Esomeprazole is used primarily as a long term medicine to reduce the production of excess digestive acid in the stomach. It works on decreasing secretion of acid as well as slowing down the transport of acid from point of production. The disease is called Gastroesophageal ReFlux disorder-GERD which is commonly referred as heart burn. It is also used for treating duodenal and peptic ulcers.
It is antiemetic drug helps in enhancing the gastrointestinal motility.
It is found to beneficial in the treatment of following conditions:
Side Effects Of SOMPRAZ D 40
Usual side effects are decreased appetite, pain in abdomen, nausea, diarrhoea, constipation and headache.
Rare, but severe side effects are unusual tiredness, bleeding, stomach pain, fever, increased heart beat, sore throat, chest pain.
Long term overdose of this drug in ICU may result in higher chances of pneumonia occurrence.
Some of the side effects of domperidone are:
- Dryness of mouth
- Allergic reactions such as hives, itching and rashes.
- Increase in prolactin level which may result in conditions such as irregular menstrual cycle, breast pain, breast enlargement in females and erectile dysfunction in males.
Consult your doctor if any of the above listed side effects gets worsen.
- Rarely seen CNS related side effects are:
Contraindications Of SOMPRAZ D 40
Contraindications Of Salt: Esomeprazole
Please inform your doctor if you have a medical history of either lupus (a condition where fever, rash and joint pains are observed together) or liver related issues. Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should be given this medicine only under medical supervision.
Contraindications Of Salt: Domperidone
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Cardiac disorder
- Hepatic impairment
- Renal impairment
- Increased levels of prolactin
- Ruptured bowel
Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a group of symptoms characterized by abdominal discomfort along with troubled bowel habits. It is not the as inflammatory bowel disease but a more serious condition that causes inflammation in the digestive tract and can result in severe complications. It is a chronic condition and seeks a long-term management. Unlike Inflammatory Bowel Disease, this does not cause changes in bowel tissue. It is classified based on the predominance of diarrhea or constipation or both such as:
- IBS-D: Diarrhoea-Predominant.
- IBS-C: Constipation- Predominant.
- IBS-A: Alternating stool pattern (also IBS-M).
- IBS-U: For those who don’t fit under any of the above categories.
Symptoms Treated With SOMPRAZ D 40
The common symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome are listed as:
- Diarrhea: - People affected with symptoms such as diarrhea are prone to get irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea. It is characterized by a sudden disturbance in the bowel movement, accompanied with loose stools and frequent stools. Control over bowel is lost in extreme IBS-D cases.
- Constipation: - People who usually suffer from constipation are considered to have irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (known as IBS-C); it is characterized by the passing of lumpy, hard and infrequent stools.
- Bloating or presence of a lot of gas.
- Abnormal stool consistency.
- Sticking out belly.
- Feeling of an early fullness of abdomen.
- Incomplete emptying of the bowel is experienced most of the times.
- Feeling of urgency to rush to a restroom.
- Fatigue, Pain in muscles.
- Pain in lower back, Headache.
- Weight loss, Rectal bleeding.
- Disturbed and improper sleep.
- Sexual de-functioning.
- Heart burn.
- An appearance of white or clear mucus in the stools.
- Abdominal Pain that grows with time and mostly occurs at night.
Causes of diseases where SOMPRAZ D 40 is used
The following are cited as the possible causes for irritable bowel syndrome:
- Abnormal movements of the digestive tract.
- Certain foods: People with irritable bowel syndrome experience worsening of the symptoms due to food sensitivity or allergy from certain foods like spices, fruits, fats, beans, milk, cauliflower, chocolates, broccoli, carbonated and alcoholic drinks, etc.
- Stress: People dealing with stress face more severe or aggravated symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Hormones: Women are more prone to Irritable bowel syndrome. During menstrual cycle symptoms of IBS get worsened.
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
- Overuse of antibiotics.
- Bowel muscle spasm.
- Deficient enzyme where the pancreas doesn’t release required enzymes, and it results in a breakdown of food or improper digestion.
Worst Foods With SOMPRAZ D 40
These are the important foods to combat Irritable bowel syndrome:
- Soda and fizzy drinks: This increase acid-reflux in the stomach and can trigger the symptoms.
- Sulfurous Vegetables: Sulphurous vegetables like onions, garlic, Brussels, cauliflower can produce gas and cause flatulence, distension and bloating.
- Wheat: It contains compounds like gluten and fructans which may be poorly digested in the patients with Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Spicy food: These are found to be triggering factors in the syndrome and can worsen the symptoms.
- Coffee: Caffeine present in coffee is said to stimulate the increase in the movement of intestinal muscles.
- Gas-producing foods: These include beans, cabbage, broccoli, peas, etc which worsen the bloating in the belly.
- Lactose: Reduce the amount of lactose as it increases the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Some lactose containing foods are milkshakes, ice creams, butter, milk, cream sauces, whipping cream, custards, and puddings.
- Artificial sweeteners: These interfere in the normal process of digestion and can severe the symptoms. Few foods containing artificial sweeteners are soft drinks labeled as diet, sugar-free biscuits, sugar-free ice creams, etc.
- Sweet fruits and vegetables: The sugar found in these contains fructose, which may not be digested well. Some such fruits are grapes, bananas, and berries.
Do's With Usage of SOMPRAZ D 40
The most effective tips for patients with irritable bowel syndrome are:
- As meals can trigger symptoms, it is recommended to take 5-6 smaller meals instead of 3 large meals.
- Follow regular workout regime to maintain a normal bowel movement.
- Aim to consume at least 6 to 8 glasses of water daily as it will keep things moving in your body and helps you cope with constipation. Also, intake plenty of fluids to reduce constipation.
- Stress is one of the major causes of irritable bowel syndrome hence; consultation is must with a psychiatrist as they can help one to overcome stress by examining how the patient reacts to day to day events that occur in his/her life.
- Do yoga: Yoga and deep breathing help to beat stress and one should breathe from diaphragm rather than chest as it helps in relaxing abdominal muscles. Subsequently, it leads to regular bowel activity.
- Try Biofeedback Therapy as this therapy slows down one’s heart rate and helps in overcoming muscle tension further helping in the improvement of bowel movement.
- One can involve in leisure activities like listening to music, the sport of one’s choice, reading, shopping, etc. as this can help in distressing.
Dont's With Usage Of SOMPRAZ D 40
The following are the things to avoid in the management of irritable bowel syndrome:
- Avoid rush while eating as it can trigger stress.
- Don’t skip breakfast as it is important to stimulate the colon.
- Since anxiety and stress can worsen the situation in Irritable Bowel Syndrome, one should avoid taking any stress.
- Do not drink water while eating the food. Always consume water an hour after or before taking the meals.
- Do not take medication that worsens IBS symptoms. Few such medications are certain antidepressants, antibiotic and medicines containing sorbitol, such as cough syrups.
Other Useful Tips With Usage OfSOMPRAZ D 40
- Make time to eat amid any busy schedule and follow a proper routine.
- Practice meditation to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Have enough sleep to avoid stress.