TONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP has the following salts in its composition
1) Vitamin B12 2) Iron 3) Folic Acid
Uses Of TONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP
Mecobalamin is used to treat Vitamin B12 deficiency.
Uses Of Salt: Iron
Iron is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- General iron deficiency
- Anaemia caused due to chronic diseases
- Iron deficiency during pregnancy
- Learning and thinking problems especially in children
- Symptoms of heart failure
- A cough caused due to ACE inhibitors
- Immunity building
Folic acid is used for preventing & treating folate deficiency, and its complications, like anaemia, inability of the bowel to absorb nutrients properly. Folic acid is also used for folate deficiency conditions including liver disease, ulcerative colitis, alcoholism, and kidney dialysis.
Pregnant women are advised to take folic acid to prevent miscarriage and neural tube defects.
Side Effects Of TONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP
Mecobalamin is usually safe. Some people may experience:
- Getting nervous or anxious
- Uncontrollable or Involuntary movements.
Side Effects Of Salt: Iron
Intake of iron is safe when taken within prescribed limits
An overdose of iron may cause side effects such as:
- Constipation, vomiting
- Stomach pain, nausea
- Stomach upset
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
Side Effects Of Salt: Folic Acid
Some of the side effects (though rare) of Folic Acid are:
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Sleeping disturbances
- Allergic rejection
Please consult your doctor if you get any of the above side effects, especially if they do not go away within 3-4 days of starting the use.
Contraindications Of TONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP
Contraindications Of Salt: Vitamin B12
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- The breast-feeding mothers.
- If suffering from an infection
- Low iron or folate level
- Polycythemia (a bone disease)
- Optic atrophy (genetic condition that harms the nerve connecting the eye to brain)
- Blood in urine.
Contraindications Of Salt: Iron
High doses intake of may be particularly risky in the following conditions:
- Stomach (or) intestinal ulcers
- Women with type-2 diabetes
- Ulcerative colitis (or) Crohn's disease(intestinal inflammation)
- Premature infants
Contraindications Of Salt: Folic Acid
- Antibiotics. Iron decreases the effectiveness of certain types of antibiotics. Hence, there should be a gap of 1-2 hours between iron and antibiotics dose.
- Bisphosphonates, Levodopa, Levothyroxine, Methyldopa and Mycophenolate Mofetil, Iron might decreases the absorption of these medicines. Hence, if you are taking any medicines containing any of these salts, you should keep a gap of 1-2 hours between any iron supplement and these medicines.
- In Anaemia, lesser oxygen is carried around the body by red blood cells. Anemia can be of different types.
Immunity building refers to any measures taken to assist and strengthen the body’s immune system to function optimally and to help ward off disease. Proper functioning is necessary for us to maintain ideal health.
The state in which the immune system is functioning sub-optimally is called immunodeficiency. Immunodeficiency states can have serious consequences e.g. predisposing to life-threatening infective diseases or cancer. Overfunctioning of the immune system is also common. Conditions in which the immune system over functions are hypersensitivity reactions or allergies, as well as autoimmune diseases (when the immune system recognises the body's cells as "foreign" and starts to attack them).
The immune system is intricately and very detailed in its design. The system is divided into innate and adaptive immunity. Innate immunity is the body’s first defence against external factors. These include physical defence mechanisms such as skin, mucosa and cell walls, as well as scavenger immune molecules that catch foreign particles in the blood and lymphatic streams.
It is an immediate defence mechanism and non-specific. It does not adapt over time. White blood cells called macrophages and phagocytes form part of the body’s innate system. Once the innate immune system recognises a threat to the body, these cells activate a system called the complement cascade which leads to further activation of more of the immune system's cells.
The adaptive immune system is more focused and contains antibodies that are formed after exposure to specific foreign substances called antigens. Antibodies are called immunoglobulins, and lymphocytes are the cells responsible for activation of the innate immune system.
Poor diet, fatigue, stress as well as certain substances or medications can all lead to over- or underperformance of the immune system. Organs that form part of the immune systems include your spleen, tonsils/ adenoids, lymphatic system and bone marrow.
Symptoms Treated With TONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP
What Are The Symptoms Of Anaemia
- Common symptoms of anemia are tiredness, dizziness, and breathlessness.
- Recurrent or frequent colds or respiratory tract infections
- Constant feeling of fatigue or lethargy
- Difficulty losing or gaining weight
- Frequent yeast infections such as gastrointestinal or genital candidiasis
Causes of diseases where TONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP is used
What Are The Causes Of Anaemia
- Deficiency of nutrients like iron, folic acid, vitamin B 12, sickle cell anemia (a genetic blood disorder) or kidney disease can be amongst few causes of anemia.
- The type of food you eat also affects the absorption of iron and folic acid.
Causes of reduced immunity can either be intrinsic/ hereditary or acquired.
Intrinsic or primary immunodeficiencies are inborn genetic errors. There are more than hundred different types and forms of primary immunodeficiency syndromes described. These include immunodeficiency syndromes such as selective IgA deficiency, DiGeorge syndrome and Ataxia Telangiectasia.
Secondary or acquired immunodeficiency states can be due to diseases or conditions such as:
- Malnutrition or being underweight
- Auto-immune disorders
Medications or substances:
- Long-term corticosteroid use
- Tumour Necrosis Factor (TNF) used in auto-immune diseases like inflammatory bowel disease or rheumatoid arthritis. Chemotherapy or radiation.
- Pregnancy is a normal physiological state of lowered immunity.
- Ageing is also a natural process that causes lowered immunity.
Best Foods With TONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP
What Are The Best Foods For Anaemia
- Maintain the healthy diet, especially foods containing iron, Vitamin B12 (Eggs, Cheese, Milk, Meats like beef, lamb, pork, Fish, Fortified breakfast cereals).
- Eat lots of leafy vegetables like spinach.
- Fruits like Pomegranates.
- Beetroot and sesame seeds are considered the wonder food for treating anemia.
- Foods high in antioxidants, especially berries.
- Vitamin C is a potent anti-inflammatory and immune booster. Foods rich in vitamin C include Grapefruits, oranges, red bell peppers, strawberries, papaya.
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to some auto-immune diseases. Foods rich in vitamin D include egg yolks, beef liver, cheese, mushrooms, fish such as tuna and salmon.
- Probiotic rich foods lower intestinal inflammation and stimulate good bacteria in the gut, strengthening the immune system. Foods include yogurt, kefir, kombucha.
- Garlic cloves. Garlic has long been used for its antibacterial and antiviral properties as well as immune boosting abilities.
- Ginger boosts immunity and is anti-inflammatory.
- Coconut oil contains lauric acid that has a strong antiviral and antibacterial component.
- Zinc helps fight infections. Zinc is especially rich in shellfish foods.
Worst Foods With TONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP
What Are The Worst Foods For Anaemia
- Junk food.
- Coffee, tea, red wine as these inhibit the absorption of iron.
- White bread.
- Sugar and refined carbohydrates. High glycemic index carbohydrates and sugar wreak havoc on your body's immune system, by causing insulin spikes and blood sugar surges, increasing inflammation and lowering immunity.
- Processed foods especially high in colourants, preservatives and chemicals all increase inflammation and lower immunity.
- Foods high in saturated fatty acids.
- Excessive alcohol intake reduces white blood cells in the immune system after long term use.
Do's With Usage of TONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Anaemia
- Use iron utensils for cooking as food cooked in iron vessel automatically gathers iron from the vessel and makes food iron rich.
- To improve absorption of iron in your body, take it with foods rich in vitamin C (like oranges, lemon)
- Find out the exact reason of anemia as your food choice will depend upon the real cause of anemia. E.g., patients with anemia caused by celiac disease should avoid eating gluten rich foods (like wheat, oats. Etc.), which others should continue with gluten.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Immunity building
- Exercise frequently. At least 30mintes per day of light to moderate exercise 3-5 times a week. Exercise increases immunoglobulin levels, as well as the efficiency of innate system's cells. Extreme amounts of exercise may, however, lead to a weakening of your immune system. Balance is key.
- Reduce stress levels. Learn relaxation techniques. Take frequent breaks. Go on holiday when possible, or take time off from work 3-4 monthly.
- Follow a diet providing optimal nutritional support.
- Assist your body in its functioning. Hydrate and help your body to detoxify. Drink at least 2 litres of clean, purified water per day.
- Optimise sleep quantity and quality. Adults need 6 to 8 hours of good quality sleep per night.
Dont's With Usage Of TONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Anaemia
- Avoid taking iron with calcium rich foods, coffee, tea as these hinder the absorption of iron in the body. Take these items at different times.
- Do yoga regularly as it increases the RBC count and also purifies the blood.
- Exercise regularly, as it causes hunger, which in turn improves your food intake.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Immunity building
- Do not expose yourself to sudden changes in extreme temperature environments e.g. walking out into the cold after a full-on gym session.
- Do not smoke. Smoking causes generalised inflammation of body tissues and leads to weakened immunity and poor tissue healing.
Other Useful Tips With Usage OfTONOFERON PAEDIATRIC 100ML SYRUP
Nutritional and complementary substances that have shown to improve immune system functioning include: